Prepare, this is a dense post! Now I must admit, I was rather late on the formalwear c.2013 Gatsby train. Regardless I do have a fondness for the long, flowy, undefined tea-gown looks for the late 1910s, 20s and 30s. I've been watching a lot of films and shows inspired by these styles for some reason, as well as eternally a fan of New Orleans Jazz and the Harlem Renaissance.
Currently I've been noticing more of the day-dress longline style from this period in stores. That and high-wise, wide-leg culottes. I hope ya'll keep the skirt/top matching sets though they're cute as hell.
Tea gowns were influenced by Europe's contact with Asia (particularly Japan) in the late 1800s. They were inappropriate for public but meant to be wore with friend and family inside at lunches and dinners (hence the name "tea" gown). This was due to the fact they're supposed to be worn without a *gasp* corset. Pants weren't really a thing yet so this was a pretty big deal. The etiquette in fashion world dictated specific outfits for every occasion (for men as well as women) from garden to formal to the time of day it was.
Despite popular belief even the staple flapper dresses weren't all that short and still hit around the knee. I feel the "Twiggy" Mod look of 60s is reminiscent of not only the shapes but the fun, youthful time period and freeing excitement you get from cutting off your long hair and shortening the hem of your dress (albeit, much shorter than the 20s).
The New Year is over, but hey, you can always sparkle. Go find some shiny Art Deco Jewelry on Etsy, or timetravel to anybody's wedding in 2013 for a modern take on 20s glamour. In the mean time, these cotton and lace shift frocks will keep you cool when this harsh winter finally dies, have fun at the NY Jazz Age Lawn Party.
What's some of your favorite 20s inspired films and shows?































No comments:
Post a Comment